Thursday, March 20, 2008

Knotting Silk with Ginny

Having a background in other crafts is one thing that Beads Amore employees have in common with many of our customers. Formerly, I worked professionally in several local stained glass studios and did freelance work from home. When I became a mother, the safety issues and the intense concentration needed made the work less enjoyable. When a long interval had passed without making any art glass projects, I decided to make some simple ornaments using bevels and jewels embellished with glass beads. Since I also crochet, I stopped at Beads Amore on 82nd Street the first time to look at beads, and to inquire about a class on crocheting with beads. The store was beautiful, and I really liked that the beads were displayed on tables instead of hung in packages. I could shop without the discomfort of having to bend over to look at things at ankle level. I could get just one bead if that was all I needed. One day Sue, the owner, waited on me, and I asked if they needed any help. It was my lucky day, and soon I will have my three- year anniversary.

We have great customers, and it is so much fun to show a beginner simple techniques that allow them to make a necklace, bracelet or earrings that look professional on their first attempt. Our customers don’t have to find time for a class or buy tools to get started since they can drop in at any time and work in our store with our assistance on beginning techniques. Videos demonstrating beginning techniques appear in the projects on our Beads Amore website, http://www.beadsamore.com/ This allows you to refresh what you learned in the beginning bead class or in the shop at any time. As you learn what types of beads you like and what styles of jewelry you want to make, we do have lots of classes available.

After I began working at Beads Amore, a friend who is a jeweler suggested that I learn to knot silk, since there are very few people left who work with silk. Since none of my wildly talented coworkers were using much silk, this was a niche I could fill. I traveled to New York City, and became certified by the Gemological Institute of America in pearl restringing. Restringing pearls is really rather tedious, so I developed classes using silk that are more fun. One is basic silk knotting . The other is knotting pearls and crystals. Both classes include the use of bead tips and clamshells and single and double strand silk and nylon threads. Like all Beads Amore classes, you will have fun, and a completed project to take home when you leave.
Ginny

No comments: