Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wire Working with Natalie

This is my first post on our new Beads Amore Blog, so I decided to tell you a little bit about me! I have been working here at Beads Amore for over 2 years and I love it. Before I came to work here, I started out shopping at both of our stores because I found that the selection was second to none. I then decided, “Hey, this is a place I can really see myself working and growing as a designer.” The rest is history. I love to teach classes and meet new people here. Sometimes I think we may have too much fun during our classes! Though, I also think that anytime you can work in an environment that really lets you be who you are, then everyone around you can feel that you are enjoying what you are doing and that allows them to have fun, too.

I have been making some kind of jewelry since I was in elementary school. (Even if it was just the little woven friendship bracelets.) I was the “go-to” gal if you needed one. :-) Though I so loved making those little woven bracelets, my friends get much nicer friendship bracelets now, to say the least. I have found in jewelry making and design that even though there are so many aspects that you can really get into, people tend to find what works the best for them, whether it be basic stringing or something far more advanced like metalsmithing. My dad always called me a “Jane-of-all-trades” because I always want to know a little bit about everything. And though I have tried many facets (pardon the pun) of jewelry making, my FAVORITE is wire working. We offer quite a few classes here in wire working.

If you are intrigued by working with wire, but feel a little intimidated, start out with our Wire Primer class. In the wire primer we teach you how to essentially make a beaded chain by making loops and coils with wire and beads in between. This is a very versatile technique that can be used in making bracelets, necklaces, earrings, anklets, and even rosaries. We offer this class twice a month at each of our two stores. Here are some examples of this technique. Wire Working Primer.
If you want to take wire working a step beyond the basics, we offer many other classes. Two of my favorite classes to teach are: Mounting Cabochons with tools and Mounting Cabochons Freehand . I like both of these classes because it allows you to really put yourself into the piece. Even if everyone in the class started out with the same wire and the same stone to wrap, each piece would turn out differently, which is really cool! With a little practice you can wrap just about anything from rocks or shells, to marbles, to pieces of broken pottery. You can even wrap fossils or sea glass. We get a lot of people that come in with rocks or shells that they have found on vacation. It’s a great way to make an unexpected showpiece out of a memory. We try to offer these classes fairly often and we are more than happy to schedule one to fit it into your busy schedule. Please check out our class listings here: Beading, Wire Working, Bead Stringing Classes. If you are unable to find the class at the time you need, click on the box at the top of that page to see a full listing of classes that we offer. If you give us a time that works for you, we will try to set something up.

Thanks for checking us out. I hope to see you in one of my classes soon!

Natalie

No comments: